Sunday, September 12, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?


I thought it was time I introduce this question to the kids. I went on to help them with options. "You can sell scooters like papa or make scooters and cars or you can be a teacher like Nanu and Nani ma and masi, or you can be a singer or a dancer. Or you can also be a soldier in the Indian army," said I.


Hrit (eagerly): Yes mama I’ll be a soldier.

Naisha: And I can be a girl soldier.

Me: Yes but then you have to eat well because you have to carry heavy guns and walk a lot. You need to be very strong.

Naisha (retracting immediately for nothing is worth ‘eating well’): Then I’ll be a fairy god mother…. Oh but I don’t have any magic. Ummm… I’ll be a teacher.

Having settled one child’s career I turned to the other one.

Me: Hrit what will you be? You want to make scooters or cars or busses?

Hrit: No mama I want to be a bus driver.

Me (Pretending not to mind): Why do you want to be a bus driver?

Hrit: Because it’s so big … and strong (?).

Me: Will it be a city bus or a school bus?

Hrit: ummm… a city bus, because it goes to many places and is red and pretty.

Naisha (Butting in): Mama.. mama… I can be a bus didi.

Hrit: That’s a great idea Naisha.. then I’ll drive a school bus and you can sit near me.

Me (getting worked up by the minute and trying to steer the conversation in a sane direction): Hrit you can drive other things like planes or jets…

Hrit: Yesssss I’ll drive a plane.

Naisha : .. and I’ll be plane didi. I’ll give everyone food and nibu paani and juice.


And so we settled at that --- a pilot and an airhostess.

When the time comes for the final choice, I do hope I have the strength to accpet their choices... and to also allow them the freedom to change their minds. Once at least.

I must confess that an unusual career choice would make me uncomfortable.... unusual by my standards of course. But I promise to try.. hard... to let them be.

2 comments:

  1. My elder one wants to be a Momma, besides a painter (she does not know artist yet) and a teacher. And my little one raises her hands over her head and says she wants to be fat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaat?? She wants to be fat? Gosh she doesn't know what she's bargaining for.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails