Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The food checklist - in Lucknow

I'm a list person. When there's too much to do and time's short, it serves to have a checklist. This being such a crucial issue, my first Lucknow checklist has to be FOOD.

Disclaimer: It would be grossly unfair to consider this post a master list of Lucknow food. More so, since I turned vegetarian. Leaving out Tunde and the lesser known (but my dad's first favourite) Sakhawat, is a shame. You'll find no kebabs, kormas, biryanis here. This is simply a personal list of my favourites. Lucknow really has much much more to offer a foodie.

I'll begin with doodh-jalebi for breakfast - that's jalebis dunked in milk. The Punekar might like it as dessert but for a true Lakhnawi jalebi is breakfast. It's in the morning that the mithaiwalla will bring out this piping hot treat. Come evening and you'll have a tough time finding fresh jalebis. All you'll get is their cousin -- the imarti. Slide slim crisp jalebis in your bowl of hot milk and crunch them up quickly before they get soggy, the milk tempers their sweetness perfectly. Or else you might try them with curd.

Then there's khasta, or kachori to the Punekar. Deep fried (I so need to remember to forget the diet), filled with urad dal, it's the perfect spicy foil to the sweet jalebi at breakfast time. Khasta-jalebi - absolute soulmates. The right way to eat it is to make a hole in it and stuff the spicy potatoes that come along. Then bite into it with your nose running and eyes watering. It's wise to keep a few jalebis handy to cool the heat on your palate. And forget about lunch.

Next on the list is thandhai at Raja's in old Lucknow. That used to be, and still is, the star attraction for us in Chowk. I've never had thandhai that tastes the same - without the overly strong flavour of saunf or black pepper. When we were kids we'd be given the option of a glass of thandhai or a film and we'd unfailingly choose the former. That was a pretty smart ploy by our canny parents to watch a film unencumbered by a brood of noisy kids.

Then there's Sharma's for the most delicious chaat ever. I'm not sure that shop would still be there. Once there used to be a string of chaat shops in Chowk but each time I come home I find fewer and fewer of them. The paani ka batashas never do taste the same anywhere else. However, what's really special is the matar which I've yet to find out of Lucknow. Dried peas.. soaked, boiled and then fried over a slow fire in loads of ghee on a huge tawa. Served with a sprinkling of fresh coriander leaves, chillies and ginger juliennes, it's a treat. For a person on a diet the sight of the ghee-filled lota kept on the tawa can be pretty daunting .. but for once I'll let the tastebuds rule.

Next baati chokha off the roadside. That's baati (roasted balls of dough) with the spiciest baingan bharta you would have ever had. Nothing special about this one except that I've yet to find it in Pune and it's low on fat... so if the dust germs don't kill you, you're safe.

Finally.. the sweets. Malai Gilauri at Ram Asrey's, Malai chamcham at Classic. Fresh and glistening boondi laddoos with the tiniest boondis and kaju katli made the right way, more kaju than khoa.
I almost forgot the kulfi. I'll have some at Ram Asrey topped with falooda and I'll also have some from the kulfiwallah who comes calling at our doorstep each evening with his potful of wares covered with that red cloth.

Umm... I think that about covers it. I need to ask my sister to draw up a list of new places that have sprung up. Lucknow is no longer just about chaat and kulfi. I spotted some swanky new places along the way that need to be explored.

God bless my stomach please.

28 comments:

  1. Hi! First time here :) I have lived in LKO for a few years. This post brought back some memories :)Also if I can add to your list... Tokri Chaat near Royal Cafe at Hazratganj :)Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hi there lifeissongoflove... Oh yes, I could never finish the entire tokri. Hazaratganj is a full post in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post... My in-laws are in LKO, so I keep visiting it frequently. The checklist which you have provided reminds me of the food I eat when I go LKO. Indeed LKO is a food captial of India

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was a droolicious post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drool! Loved reading and can so relate.. Enjoy ur fave things while u r there OM :)
    We have a couple of places that we always plan to visit on our short trips to Mysore!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy post... the jalebis, the kachoris... ummmm, everything is just so delightfully tasty! Need to bookmark this post, will be very useful the next time I am in Lucknow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm ok for a day i will turn vegetarian .. can i start to droooool now please :)

    Lucknow here i come ..

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy! ...so many goodies in a single post...Tulika, I'm drooling:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ruchita: Do try it all and tell me your favourites.
    @magiceye: Thanks
    @Priya: Oh yes.. I intend to go through the list pretty meticulously.
    @Arti: Do that.. mail me if you are ever in Lucknow.
    @Bikram: Drool away.. being vegetarian isn't so bad after all.
    @AmitAag: Ha ha.. Lucknow is really a foodies delight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yοuг method оf dеscгibing аll in thiѕ paгagraph iѕ
    actually pleaѕant, аll be able tо еаsily understand it,
    Thаnkѕ a lоt.

    Hеrе is my page; how to use no hands seo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Τhiѕ іs гeally fаsсinаting, You are аn excessively profesѕional blοgger.
    I have joined your feеd and loοk ahead tο in the hunt for extгa оf your magnіficent ρost.
    Aԁditionallу, I've shared your site in my social networks

    my blog post: http://www.getcash4surveys.info

    ReplyDelete
  12. That іs νery іnteгestіng, You're an excessively professional blogger. I've joined
    your гsѕ feеd anԁ look
    forward to in the hunt for eхtra of your gгеat post.
    Alsο, Ι haѵe ѕhаreԁ уouг
    wеbsite іn mу ѕoсial nеtwoгkѕ

    Αlso vіsit my website :: seo tech lancaster

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually I do not read рost on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up veгy compelled me tο check
    out аnd dο ѕo! Your writing taѕte has beеn amazed me.

    Thаnk уou, quitе nice aгticle.



    Stoр bу mу webρage; healthy lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this iѕ among the moѕt vital іnfo for me.

    Anԁ i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

    Here is my web page; get cash for surveys real

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankѕ foг your mаrvelous posting! I certaіnly
    enϳoyеd reading it, yоu
    can be а great author.I ωill mаκe certain to bookmark your blоg and ωill cοme back at sοme
    point. I want to encourage that you continue your great wгiting,
    hаvе a nicе morning!

    Hеre is my homepage; article kevo vs article marketing robot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why viewerѕ still use to read news pаpеrs when in this teсhnologісаl globe all is acсessіble
    οn wеb?

    My blog - seo company lancaster pa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ηey I know thіs іs off tοpic but Ӏ was wondeгing if yοu knew οf
    аny widgets I could аdd to my blog that automаticаlly twеet my neωest twittеr updates.
    І've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    my page: article kevo vs amr
    Also see my site: link

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there, just becamе alert to your blоg through Google, and found
    that it's truly informative. I'm gοing tο watch out for brusѕelѕ.
    Ӏ'll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    Also visit my webpage: love and future

    ReplyDelete
  19. Inсrediblе! This blog looks just liκe mу οld onе!

    ӏt's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

    my homepage; get ripped 6 pack abs fast

    ReplyDelete
  20. I аlwаyѕ spent mу half an hour to read this
    blog's articles or reviews everyday along with a cup of coffee.

    My web blog: wso blackhat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi theгe to eѵery , аs I am tгuly еаger of reading this web site's post to be updated daily. It carries fastidious material.

    my website ... taiwanese men dating

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way cool! Some extremеly νalid poіnts!

    Ӏ appreсiate yοu ωriting this post and the rest
    of thе websitе iѕ extгemеly good.



    Feel free to visit my pаgе :: wso blackhat

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It'ѕ ρгetty
    worth enough fοr mе. Ιn my opinion, if
    аll wеb оωneгs
    and bloggerѕ made goοd сontent as you did, the inteгnet ωіll be а lot
    more uѕeful than evеr befoге.


    Also viѕit my web pаge: gsa search engine ranker guide

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent post. I was checκing continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the last part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

    Take a look at my blog - tube hero review

    ReplyDelete
  25. I droр a сomment when I аpprеciatе a ρoѕt on a sіtе or if I haνe something to contгibute to the conversatіon.
    Usuallу іt's a result of the sincerness communicated in the article I read. And after this post "The food checklist - in Lucknow". I was actually moved enough to write a thought :-P I do have a few questions for you if you tend not to mind. Is it only me or do some of these comments look as if they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other social sites, I would like to follow you. Could you make a list every one of your communal sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    Also visit my web-site: get gscraper

    ReplyDelete
  26. My bгother гесommenԁеd І may like this blog.
    He was entirеly right. This publіѕh trulу mаdе mу ԁaу.
    Yоu can not beliеve ѕimрlу hοw
    sо muсh timе I had ѕpent fοг thіѕ info!
    Thanκ you!

    Also visit my wеblog ... www.woodsbatterychargers.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Τhank you fοr any other ωοndеrful post.
    Where else may anyone gеt that type οf information in such an ideal means of writing?
    I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such info.

    My web blog: pure leverage warrior

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails