Sunday, September 30, 2012

The way I am

If you're a regular here you'll know my constant fight with the Voldemart in my life, the one I've battled for as long as I remember,  the one that has spawned many a post some funny, some sad, some jubilant and some motivational. It's all been about that three lettered word ..

FAT.

I was a chubby baby and made for a pretty picture with my mum in her bouffant and a very dapper dad. However that cute little toddler turned into a fat preteen. And from then on life was just not the same.

When other kids counted dolls I counted my rope skips.
Each morning I'd pick up my skipping rope and a mat and go to the terrace for my exercise. I hated it. It was a chore, a chore I detested. I'd pick at my food and then binge.

When other girls counted boy-friends I counted calories.
I'd look in the mirror and see just a fat girl. I shied away from wearing certain clothes, sticking with the 'safe'. I stayed away from most sports for fear of losing and becoming a laughing stock. Racing, running, jumping.. all a no no. I never danced. I hated formal occasions that required me to dress up. I'd look in the mirror at a face that never looked pretty. How could it? I was perpetually scowling at myself.

I wish someone had told me.. to love myself the way I was.

And the funny part... when I look back at my pictures I find I wasn't fat. I really wasn't. Of course it might have been because I was trying so hard most of the time. However, I never stopped to take stock. I never saw that I wasn't fat fat. I never did enjoy the fruit of my effort.

What a colossal waste!

Later, much later, when I crossed 30 and really put on weight, I went to a gym. I loved it. I loved the exercise, the music, the instructor counting out relentlessly, the sweat trickling down my brow and finally, I loved how I MADE the weighing machine needle move the right way. Each kg that went brought on a delicious pleasure. A pleasure I learnt to savour.

When I had kids, Voldemort struck again. I let him be. I enjoyed my kids putting in the occasional exercise when I could. I loved being a mum, fat and all. Still do :-). Then it was back to the gym.

And the struggle continues. But I'm having fun. I run with the kids without worrying about who'd be laughing at me. I even dance sometimes. Oh I know I look ridiculous but now I know, it doesn't matter. I often like what I see in the mirror and when I don't I put on my smile and I look just fine.

Of course I still obsesses about my weight. I write about it constantly. I watch what I eat and of course I binge too. I still hope to become thin one day. But in the meanwhile my life's not on hold. I'm in no hurry.. I've got my whole life to do just that.

I wish someone had told me ... to love myself the way I am.


This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda .

14 comments:

  1. ..great thought nicely penned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful thought that we all need a reminder for often in our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the thought ....yes its very imp to love ourselves first !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs. This could so be my story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amit: Thanks

    My Era: Wish I could remember it always :-).

    TTT: Glad you agree.

    Shruti: Soul sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good thought decorated with a nice story

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I guess this is one line we all want to hear, all the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really! I'd have approached weight loss in a whole new different way! I struggle with weight too and blog about it! Do drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. [p]Because of its high quality and high technological design . Canada Goose manufactures a wide [url=http://www.canadagoosejacketoutletdk.com]canada goose jacket outlet[/url] range of jackets, vests, hats, gloves and other cold weather apparel designed for extreme cold weather conditions . "I see so many of those badges," says Donnell Enns, owner of Yorkville boutique Uncle Otis, where the Canada Goose coats sold out this winter and had to be reordered several times . Once the Clippix shield Canada Goose is positioned upright, condensation drips back to the pan and this is not on the counter,canadagoosesca . You would be forgiven for thinking Arctic expeditioners are in town for [url=http://www.canadagoosejacketoutletdk.com]canada goose outlet online[/url] a conference . I am 5¡¯9 (1 . So, why are they so popular?
    "It's the warmest jacket in the world," says Dani Reiss, president and CEO of Canada Goose and the third generation of this family-owned company . Below knee-length and insulated with [url=http://www.authenticcanadagoosecoats.com]canada goose coats[/url] 625 fill power white duck down this parka gets an extra boost of style and a sleek silhouette from an adjustable belt.[/p][p]This is checked by the hotel having to verify travel documents (such as passports and tourist/visa cards) . This is also [url=http://www.genuinecanadagoosevest.com]canada goose freestyle vest[/url] a drive to produce the pan something cool to consider and a hot piece of cookware with the food prep . Most that used [url=http://www.genuinecanadagoosevest.com]canada goose vest price[/url] the set claimed that the pans work perfectly,Canada Goose Coats On Sale . ¡°It¡¯s [url=http://www.cheapcanadagoosejakke.com]men canada goose jakke[/url] growing by leaps and bounds . The pans include practical measuring scales inside the pan, and so they offer limited lifetime warranty . [18] Canada Goose wants the Federal Court to force International Clothiers to stop selling the products [url=http://www.authenticcanadagoosecoats.com]canada goose coats on sale[/url] and destroy their remaining inventory of jackets . Once the Clippix shield Canada Goose is positioned upright, condensation drips back to the pan and this is not on the counter,canadagoosesca.[/p]

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww! hugs sista! I feel every word thats on this post! I dont know what else to say...the three letter word haunts me till date ;)

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails