Monday, October 01, 2012

Has it ever happened to you..

.. that something you've read or studied gets clean wiped off your head when you try to recall it?

Yesterday we were watching the Delhi Marathon and Hrit asked me what a marathon was. All I could remember was that a Greek, with a name difficult to spell, with a P and D in it, ran somewhere and ran back and died. Good bless Google for coming to my rescue.

That's a story I liked. How could I forget it? If I forgot something obnoxious like calculus or chemistry I'd not complain. If those were wiped clean off from my mind I'd only be grateful for the extra space. I do have to cram a lot in that brain of mine. What's worrying me is not finding the other interesting stuff, things I read and enjoyed and had been really really good at during school.. tectonic theory, the Moghul Empire, the working of a pinhole camera.. I loved all that and remember knowing it so well. But now... nothing.

On the other hand there are things I remember so clearly.. speeches from The Merchant of Venice, poems by Wordsworth, Kabir and Rahim, pictures from my textbooks way back from when I was in Prep.

Weird it is.

It doesn't help that I had a grandma with Alzheimer's.

Today was the last straw -- I couldn't remember the name of Harry Potter's school -- Hogwarts.. for godsake! I need to install google in my head. Maybe they'll come up with something. I hope it's soon.

PS: He was Pheidippides. While on Marathons.. the gym is having a mini Marathon.. all of two kms, this Sunday. I'm still trying to decide whether I should go. What if I'm the last person walking at the finish line?

11 comments:

  1. yep, it has happened to me!!
    normally our braints tend to remember what we forget!! thats why we r able to say - 'i forgot that one'. else we would be totally blank like a jammed pc!!!

    no need to worry much abt it...happens in life! almonds and meditation were suggested to me by everyone....
    i knew a person who suicided thinking she had alzheimers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG how sad! I've seen first hand how bad it can get so I can understand her dread. Almonds it is for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so like me.
    I too always remember the starting alphabet and the rest is blank :(
    I totally agree that maybe soon I'll need to install Google in my head too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it!!
    If you are the last one walking in you will have the whole town cheering you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ME: Welcome to the gang!

    @Magiceye: Super thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do Read The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. It is all about the malleability of memories. It won the Booker Prize for 2011 too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, its really irritating when you know you have it in there but are unable to get it out at the right times. When you do find something that can be installed in our heads for the better, please do let me know because I need one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It happens with most of us...nice post!!

    Do land in my world some time... :)

    http://apparitionofmine.blogspot.in/
    http://creativeworldofnoopur.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Umashankar: Will check it out.

    Arti: You too.. maybe we can start a movement :-P.

    Noopur: Thanks for dropping by. Am visiting you now :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happens with me most of the time re....with the way we multitask it is bound to happen so chill :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smita: Feels good to have company :-D.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails