Tuesday, January 28, 2014

C is for Clock Towers

That's the clock tower in my hometown Lucknow. Isn't it magnificent?

In Lucknow we call it the Ghantaghar. Literally translated it means hour (Ghanta) house (ghar).. pretty apt, I say. Ghanta also means a 'big bell' in Hindi and that fits in well too, bell-house, since it must have tolled to tell time.

A few facts..
Height:  67 meters - It is the tallest tower in India.
Built in: 1887
By: Nawab Nasir Ud Din Haider
To: mark the arrival of Sir George Couper, the first Lieutenant General of the Awadh Province.

As a kid I remember the grounds around the tower where we'd accompany our dad for his morning walk. I love it's old worldly feel and deep red colour. In case you want to read more about clock towers of Lucknow you can go to An Indian Muslim's Blog.

Back then clocks and watches were a rarity so it must have been a structure of some importance, specially for calling out people for prayer. How lost we feel now without a clock! Come to think about it not being driven by time wouldn't be such a bad idea, right? Of course only if you don't have angry bosses waiting for you, or the school bus to catch each morning. Life would have been amazingly laid back and relaxed.

Linking to ABC Wednesday


25 comments:

  1. What a novel take for C! And ,you know me, I cannot imagine life without a clock and its reminders ;) Magnificent picture, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Shailaja.. that would be me too. Sometimes my Husband gets sick of the numerous alarms that beep throughout the day!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes they are Roger. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. I love clock towers. Interesting post and a good shot. Carver, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. An impressive tower. I think I would be lost without a clock or my watch.
    Nice post and information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it truly is impressive. Speaks of bygone days when not everyone had a way of telling what time it is ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. must have been quite a trial squinting at the sun or checking out the stars to figure out the time!!

      Delete
  6. Cool clock tower!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hey magiceye.. welcome back. Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete
  8. The ghantaghar ... beautiful capture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. it will always be ghantaghar for us.

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy seeing clock towers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look quite magnificent, don't they?

      Delete
  10. Nice! Clock towers are interesting.. but never made a point to look them up for more info!! Will do that now on :)
    Btw.. I'm on to ABC Wednesday too.. will be able to do one post a week at least I hope.. and the 100 happy days is interesting too... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Priya.. great. Yes one post a week is so doable.. even more because you know the sequence so you can schedule as ahead as possible. Although I always find myself struggling at the last minute.

      Delete
  11. In Mumbai we have the Rajabai Tower. thanks for linking the post.good info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh I just feel so many stories are hidden around the Clock Towers ... as if they witness it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one impressive Clock tower!! The detail around the top looks amazing. I bet its chime is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On the first glance I thought it was Big Ben !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post on Lucknow's Clock Tower!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails