Tuesday, February 25, 2014

G is for 'Something Good in everything'

H has a mentally challenged child in his class, A. H often talks about him and enjoys being with him because, "A is most fun to be with. His brain works differently ma," he explained to me (No doubt as explained to him by his teacher).

A few days back he said it was A's birthday and asked for a gift for him. I'm not big on gifts, (I prefer cards), but when H insisted I wrapped a small one for him.

I forgot about it till this Saturday when I went for the Parent-Teacher meet. During the conversation his teacher said, "A's mum has asked specially to convey her regards to you. She had tears in her eyes, so touched was she with H's gift for A.....:,". I was beginning to puzzle over, what I thought was, a bit of an overreaction, for a small gift. Then, continued H's teacher, "...specially after A had attacked him a day earlier".

That made me sit up. How come H didn't mentioned this? H, who shows me every tiny hurt.

I took it up with him. "Did A hurt you?" I asked.
"Yes mama. He didn't want me to sit at his desk but teacher had asked me to, so when I went and sat he got angry. But then teacher came and helped me."
"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.
"Because it was only A. He doesn't mean to be bad. He gets angry sometimes. I've told you na, his brain works differently," was his reply.

This was H
- who remembers every single real or perceived injury and insult for ages.
- who doesn't pause to think before landing a punch at his sister.
- for whom I went to a counsellor when he was 3, because he couldn't control his anger.

Oh he's come a long long way. I was so proud....
...of H for not holding a grudge, for being so mature.
.. and of their school for practising 'inclusive education' in its true sense.

It cannot be easy. I've heard other parents complaining and do perhaps understand their concerns for their children. However, now I see how positive it can be to have A in the same class, not just for him but for the other children as well. (What is required, is perhaps a little more help and vigilance from caretakers).

Isn't this what differently abled children need? Not pity, not special schools, not special treatment.. Just a matter of fact understanding that they do things differently, react differently, that they are 'different', not less not more, than the other kids.


And a HUGE HUGE thank you to A for bringing out the best in my son and for introducing me to a whole new side of him.

There really is "Something Good in everything".
*********


Linking to ABC Wednesday . Do click on the link for more great entries.


49 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story of GENEROSITY of spirit.
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful anecdote, Tulika! And what a mature young man you have in H. May his tribe grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...had goosebumps while reading this. A touching yet heartwarming post. Kudos to H and you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Applause to the lil Big H and to you too!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's at times like this that you feel the kids are growing up.

      Delete
  5. This touched me so much. Your son really "gets" it.
    Aren't we all at some point, "differently abled"?
    I love that term and am going to pass it on to some friends with a child that is definitely Differently abled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great story of compassion and understanding on the part of your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on bringing up such a warm-hearted and understanding son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hildred.. that's quite a compliment.

      Delete
  8. looks like you've done your job as a mother - what a wonderful gift.

    frankly my dear

    ReplyDelete
  9. This just made me want to weep - you are a very lucky mother to have such a wonderful son. And A is a very luck boy to have found a friend in H.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're both lucky boys Leslie.

      Delete
  10. Hugs to your little one and his friend..
    Such a heart warming post this is :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be proud!
    A adorable son you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to you both..Very heart touching..

    ReplyDelete
  13. seriously.. i dont thinK you realise how rare that is. for a child with an angry temperament to be able to reason so perfectly in such a situation is remarkable. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right and yet it was effortless for him.

      Delete
  14. Wow Tulika! You must have felt really proud of Hrith. Beautifully written up by you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you ! It's good for both sides !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really a feel good post. So good to hear of schools that take such good care of differently abled children and a child like H who is so wonderfully brought up to become a great human being. Kudos to all - you, your family, H and his school teacher.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great kid showing so much compassion and understanding. You must be so proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to reach out and hug you and H. Brought tears to my eyes that a child gets what so many adults don't! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an awesome story. A superb example of generosity and positivity. Very nice of H to understand that friendship is beyond 'being friends' it goes way up to accepting each other as they are :) beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was so touched by H's act. Put your collars up, proud Mom. You have done it right!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was so touched by H's act. Put your collars up, proud Mom. You have done it right!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautifulost! This exactly what we were talking about this morning when we had a meeting of members of our church. Respect for the people around us, no matter if they were different.
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blessing and hugs to H . May his tribe truly multiply <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is such a heart warming story. Collars up Tulika, you've got an amazing son there :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Truly touched by this gesture from your son. I can imagine the pride you must have felt. Children really do surprise us with the things they learn from sources other than us. Most schools are trying to blend the kids in like this. My son's classmate gets special question papers prepared for him by the teachers because he is a slow learner. I hope more people inculcate such habits of caring and understanding in kids at an early age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely! Very touched reading this one OM. So proud of H!! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a delightful post Tullika. It shows how children are more sensitive than most of us adults..

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  28. A big pat on your back Tulika for being a lovely mom and a big hug to H for being so sensitive and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow I am so proud of H . He is come a long way and growing so fast so mature . It's hats off to that mom I know who has worked on every bit abd still does . Wow Tulika so happy for H .

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was a heart-warming story, Tulika:-) Sometimes kids are much more mature than adults... Big hugs to you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So beautiful, Tulika ji :) So happy for H, for being so understanding and loving. And so happy for A, that he has an understanding friend in H . So proud of you for having wrapped up the gift when H asked you to, and just a wonderful kid H is, for taking that gift to A. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a happy post... what we need is to see the good and that makes everything worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow H's understanding and compassion deserves an applause. Loved the post and well can't say much...goosebumps! Lv

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loved this post! Thank you for sharing Tulika!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sweet , happy post :)
    Lovely !

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails