Friday, March 21, 2014

April A to Z Challenge - the How and the What

I was never serious about the April A to Z Challenge. One because I feel daily challenges become boring and you end up writing a lot of stuff that's just not good enough and two because they involve too much commitment.

However I sometimes suffer from the foot-in-the-mouth syndrome. I talk about things I have little or no intention of taking up. During one such conversation dear friend Shailaja mentioned the Challenge to me and I said she should certainly sign up. I never included 'me' in this whole thing, yes I remember very clearly.

But was she listening? No sir!

That day onward I had no peace. Like a well-meaning bulldozer, first she firmly raised all my objections to the ground. Then she dragged me (protesting all the way, everyday, even now) to sign up, then to join the Facebook group, then to put up the Challenge logo on my blog and then to take part in this theme reveal.

And so here I am, kind of getting used to the idea that I will be posting 26 days almost at a stretch, at a time of the year when I normally clock 3 to 4 posts a month since it's vacation time and I'm travelling. I have been working furiously to get as many posts done before April as possible. The odds are against me certainly, yet I just might see this through thanks to support and encouragement from friends like Vidya and Corrine. (No, I will not mention Shailaja). Thank you guys, you're the best.


For the Challenge I have decided to keep it simple, since it's my first. I have chosen to write about 26 very special people, people I know well. Some, I've known since I was a child and some who I met as recently as last year. I have chanced upon them in stores, through the computer or at libraries. These are people I have come to know through their books.

My theme is AMAZING AUTHORS - Some with books dating back two hundred years some as recent as this year. 

They have not just saved me from a very dull existence but have enriched it in a thousand varied ways. They have made me smile, laugh and cry. They have shown me miraculous worlds, real yet magical. They have taught me to love, to be patient, to persist, to follow my dreams and sometimes to simply sit back and have fun.

I love them all. My only regret - I have had to leave out many others, who are equally dear to me.

So come join me in this month-long journey. You'll certainly find some old friends here and maybe some new ones too.

59 comments:

  1. YAY! SO glad you decided to do it! And yes, I think 'bulldozer' as my middle name sits rather well ;) Very enjoyable theme! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll live to thank you one day.

      Delete
  2. AMAZING AUTHORS // Yipppeeee, my favorite theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting theme :) good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool!! that authors thing really excites me...good luck Tulika :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need that luck for sure.. the Qs and the Xs are staring me in the face.

      Delete
  5. I love your theme! This will be a fascinating journey! And yes Shailaja, bulldozer suits your middle name fine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is one theme I will DEFINITELY follow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shiva, will be good to have you around.

      Delete
  7. It's going to be fun reading about so many authors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. I'm having loads of fun writing about them.

      Delete
  8. Love authors n books and so love your theme, rock it Tulika :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your theme and look forward to your authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy, I hope I can do them justice.

      Delete
  10. That's a cool theme, Tulika!! Looking forward to read about your amazing authors! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good choice! Writers inspire us Looking forward to your 'writers'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Usha ji. Loved your theme 'festivals of India' too.

      Delete
  12. Seems a very edutaining theme, this one. We will get to know about more books, and more authors and that's so enriching indeed :) The wait begins, Tulika ji :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will be something that I look forward to ... All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll need the wishes ... Ther's so much to choose from.

      Delete
  14. 26 dear friends. 26 amazing author's. It will be a great read. Good of +Shailaja to boss you.
    I am waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. Yes I'm duly grateful to Shailaja.

      Delete
  15. Great idea! I am looking forward to reading about these authors!
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful theme. This is the best way to remember our favourite authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I keep breaking off while writing to go check out a book.

      Delete
  17. Now this is something I will really wait for :)

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/03/a2z2014-theme/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hats off to your theme, amazing authors sounds great. Will be a regular visitor to your blog in April :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, will be great to have you around.

      Delete
  19. Looking forward to learning about new authors from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some might be new and some old friends.

      Delete
  20. Very interesting to read your thoughts about this... since I am also in the process of thinking To-Join-Or-Not-To-Join! I love your theme though, and will definitely follow your blog in April. Best of luck:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. would love to read about 26 amazing authors....
    looking forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck! I was just thinking about joining the challenge when I saw your post. I love your theme. I am not sure what I am going to write about but it is going to be one heck of a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  23. love your theme! cheers :) its a first tym evn for me. tried to follow the facebook groupplink but couldn't find it! all the best for the challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You grabbed my heart with your theme! Can't wait to see what you come up with! And very very glad we are in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This Shailaja, I tell you! ;) But I'm so glad she did what she did and am looking forward to reading your posts - what a fascinating theme!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great theme it is, Tulika! I look forward to your posts, and thank those who bulldozed you into signing up :) Look, what a nice thing you will be doing now - sharing these amazing authors with your readers! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How brilliant a theme is that!!
    Authors!! Excellent! I will have a set of books to read over summer thanks to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Remind me to never mention taking part in a challenge to Shailaja ;). Love your theme, really look forward to catching up on your posts. Sorry for being MIA for so long, the mind's been cluttered and I've hardly written on my blog, that always puts me behind on my reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now that is one awesome theme! Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your theme and looking forward to following it in April...I'm hoping I come across some new authors to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  31. SOunds awesome! My first time too...all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the theme...seems like many first timers this time.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow tulika that would be great. i am so in your to read list.it would be a good opportunity to me.all the best. Nidblogdxb

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome!! All the best OM :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Tulika. For a while there I almost thought we had very similar themes. Isn't great how much we can connect with an author just by reading their books. I read so voraciously when I was young, I don't remember the titles or the authors of so many - but the stories remain. It will be interesting to read your perspective and which authors you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Tulika, I think we know each other. 20 years is a long time ... but i think i recognize your face from the SHCIL days. Will drop by your posts during the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  37. A really interesting post. Thank you so much, nice to follow and connect through atozchallenge.
    http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Glad to have you here. It's your turn to share your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails