A rant

Do you have days when nothing seems to be coming together? When you wake up each morning with a fresh resolve for a cheerful day and watch the resolve done and dead within a few hours? When the kids just won't stop whining? When every interaction with them is a struggle? When, just as you fix one situation, another one is upon you? 

It's been a bit like that over the last week or two. The twins have been down with a bunch of real and imagined ailments. That I am not able to figure out which is which is driving me crazy.



First H complained of throat pain. Over the evening it escalated, and by night time he was wringing his hands and crying out each time he swallowed. After a panicked phone call to my doctor SIL I rushed out to buy medicine. As I got back I heard him singing, yes singing out loud, loud enough to be heard outside the house. And it has returned each night - the hand wringing and the moaning hasn't stopped despite my threats and pleadings. 

Then it was N's turn. She complained of a headache. Do kids have headaches? Anyway, since she rarely falls ill, I assumed she just wanted a day at home (since H had called in sick a few days back) and I went along with it. She stayed home, read, drew, coloured, crafted and cycled through the day and seemed all fine till evening. And then the 'ache' was back moving to her stomach accompanied with 'nausea' ('every time I eat I feel like puking') and loss of appetite. Back I was to the SIL wondering if the vague symptoms indicated jaundice till I ruled it out.


That's how it's been between the two of them.

Do I sound over-anxious? Yeah, I do, even to myself. But at that point their illnesses seem very real and very worrisome. I wonder if kids have any clue how their vague and casual complaints leave mums stressed.


And then there are mosquitoes....


Many nights in a row H has been waking me up because he hears a 'buzz'. He's mortally scared of mosquitoes - scared, not annoyed like the rest of us. I've tried everything - from repellent gadgets to creams. He has always been a mosquito magnet but I'm beginning to think the buzz is more in his head than anywhere else. Each night he walks into my room at ungodly hours, shutting doors and windows till I suffocate, screaming if he hears a buzz and then falling asleep leaving me waiting for the alarm so I can get on with my day. 


Mornings find me irritable with a body ache that refuses to go. I am unable to go to the gym which means hanging out at home feeling horribly fat and cranky (Ugh!). I resent every phone call, every knock at the door, even the maid - anything that comes between me and my shut eye, which just doesn't happen. It's a bit like I was back to their baby years with the sleep starvation.


I've been wondering if it's that's what making me over-anxious. After all the kids couldn't have changed overnight. I should be used to their myriad illnesses.  I AM used to them. I could always figure out the real from the fake. Now I just cannot seem to.


This is unusual too - this rant. I do not usually rant unless I have a physical person sitting in front of me - when I bug the h*** out of them - someone from my list of 'privileged' few :-). Unfortunately  that hasn't been possible and you have had to bear the brunt of it. 


On a positive note the discovery of the day has been that a good bath seems to wash away a lot of my crabbiness. Highly recommended for bad days when everything seems to be going wrong. That and a change in schedule seems to make me feel better.

As a new week comes up I have my fingers crossed.

Labels: , , , , ,